History & Brands

A Long History Full of Important Experiences

Gruppo Aturia offers the experience collected with the integration of prestigious companies which operate in pump sector since more than a century providing heavy duty equipment for multiple and demanding applications, such as oil & gas, firefighting, industry and water.

Product Enrichment Through Integration

Each company that today has been integrated into Gruppo Aturia adds an important piece of innovation made of technology and experience today part of Gruppo Aturia product range.

This journey steps through industrial technology evolution and shows how have been integrated into product design, production processes to improve product performance and to extend fields of application.

Discover Heritage of Each Gruppo Aturia Brand!

1927

FIRST CENTRIFUGAL PUMP

Aturia starts its activity as an agency for foreign firms in the field of water pumps, vacuum pumps, piston pumps, and rotary blowers. Thanks to the enthusiasm and managerial ability, this activity gradually develops so much that Aturia becomes a real industry able to project and build by itself those pumps that could better satisfy Italian and foreign markets needs.

1934

FIRST FACTORY
Once into production, it is necessary to create a workshop and proper technical and commercial organization. In this year is being built the first factory in Milan overs a covered area of 1000m2.

1946

DEVELOPMENT OF SUBMERSIBLE PUMPS & MOTORS

Aturia open a new factory, over an area of 10.000m2, 7.000m2 of which is covered, equipped with the most up-to-date machinery, and with a modern test room. Production is divided amongst three departments: assembly of electrically driven submersible pumps with ratings up to 500HP, capacity up to 12.000lt/1′ and heads up to 500m; assembly of special surface pumps for dense liquids, acids, etc, and assembly of liquid vacuum pumps and Root type blowers. In this period, Aturia patents motors are able to operate submersible in water. This represents a true revolution in the traditional methods of water lifting from wells.

1958

BUILDS GESSATE (MILANO) MANUFACTURING SITE

Aturia business had developed to such an extent that it is necessary to build a new and bigger factory in Gessate, near Milan, equipped with a test room for electric driven pump sets with ratings up to 800 HP, to satisfy the increased production demand. Further to the electric driven pumps, the Gessate factory manufactures drainage electric-driven pumps, surface pumps, monophase centrifuges, auto priming pumps, high-pressure multicellular pumps, the series of liquid vacuum pneumatic pumps, and low-pressure Root type volumetric compressors. The availability of such a considerable space enabled the company to build a series of iron sheds for the warehousing and the assembly of large- scale machinery.

1960

DEVELOP A NEW SUBMERSIBLE MOTORS RANGE

Aturia develops a range of Submersible Motors filled with water and wounded with copper wires coated with thermoplastic materials (PVC, PE2+PA) and becomes leader in this technology. Product development extend market opportunity from domestic market to Mediterranean Area, Americas and Asia.

1970

SOLUTIONS FOR NAVY

Aturia starts collaboration with the Italian Navy by supplying submersible electric pumps intended for main bilge and fire-fighting services.

1995

DEVELOP NEW SUBMERSIBLE PUMPS TO REDUCE ENERGY CONSUMPTION

Aturia, thanks to Power Electronics development, introduces the application of Frequency Converters to adjust the rotating speed of Submersible Motors to reduce energy consumption.
Aturia develops also motors and submersible pumps suitable to operate at high speed. In Milan Area were installed first submersible pumps 6″ running at 6.000 rpm thanks to Frequency Converter operating at 100 Hz. Frequency Converter can optimize pump operating point: despite the higher initial investment, correct parameters enable a pump to be operated in the high efficiency area for longer periods with significant reduction of total cost of ownership.

2007

IMPROVE SUBMERSIBLE PUMPS EFFICIENCY

Aturia thanks to the development of the Lost Wax Casting Process optimizes production and also produces a range of Stainless Steel Pumps.  The precision casting process guarantees low roughness of the cast parts, with the advantage of greater efficiency.

Duplex and Super Duplex Pumps are also available for operation in the most severe atmospheres.

1919

MANUFACTURING START-UP

Rotos starts the production of electric motors, monobloc, single, multistage and vertical pumps in Milan. The company develops all water applications in the field of agriculture, building and industry.

1962

DEVELOPMENT CENTER OF PROCESS PUMPS (API 610 and ISO 2858)
Rotos joins French Group “Guinard” and became the “Development Center of multistage pumps”. Based on “Guinard” experience, Rotos starts the production of Process Pumps according to API and ISO standards.

1970

DEVELOPMENT HIGH-FLOW VERTICAL PUMPS

Rotos develops high-flow vertical pumps axial type (ELV series) devoted to reclaiming, shipyards, municipalities, and irrigation projects.

1980

INTEGRATION IN ERCOLE MARELLI

Ercole Marelli acquires Rotos and begins the production of fire-fighting sets with PD split case pumps in accordance with NFP20 standards and FM approved.
The Acqua Group sets up GIEM company which includes ITEM, Ercole Marelli Components, and Rotos, and spins off pump manufacturing from pumping plant engineering.
A new EMIT company based in Milan will take care of the plant sector.
The production of the vertical PAg and PEN pumps and of the PD split cases are transferred from Sesto San Giovanni to the new Rotos plant in Pozzo D’Adda.

2005

DEVELOPMENT OF MAGNETIC DRIVE PUMPS

Start-up of the New Plant in Taglio di Po (Rovigo) dedicated to the Development and Production of Magnetic Drive Seal-less Pumps.

1891

ESTABILISHED

Founded by Ercole Marelli as a small workshop, it becomes one of the Major Italian Industrial Realities, which reached its maximum expansion in the first half of the sixties of the twentieth century.

1897
1900

ELECTRIC MOTORS

Marelli patents, together with the Brioschi and Finzi company, a light direct current electric motor. Three years later, an automatic starter for AC motors starts to be manufactured.

1905
1921

START PRODUCTION CENTRIFUGAL PUMPS

Marelli starts the production of centrifugal pumps coupled to electric motors and develops types of pumps for various applications: from agriculture to the navy, from tool machines to chemical industries.
In 1921 the Sesto San Giovanni plant is strengthened: highly professional workers and technicians manufacture transformers, generators, electromotive, turbo-alternators, and large pumps for hydro and thermoelectric plants all over the world.

1945
1960

DEVELOPMENT OF SPLIT CASE, MUTISTAGE AND AXIAL PUMPS

Ercole Marelli develops an entire range of centrifugal pumps which it designs and manufactures in the Sesto San Giovanni plant.
It starts the production of axial flow pumps (PE), supplying and installing numerous machines for reclamation to municipalities in Italy, with flow rates from 300 to 7000 m3/h.
Develops circulators, monoblock pumps, P series axial suction pumps (flow rate from 240 to 1500 m3/h and head from 35 to 70 m); PF-PFD series pumps with axial split case (flow rate from 200 to 3500 m3/h and head from 5 to 50 m); PH/PHC /PHP multistage series pumps, (flow rate from 60 to 1000 m3/h and head from 60 to 750m).
To meet the demands of the plant engineering sector, from aqueducts to irrigation, in these years are designed a new series of pumps: PD /PDV /PHD/PHDV with an axial split case with double suction impeller, low NPSH, (flow rate from 300 m3/h to 2700 m3/h and head from 10 to 120 m). PHSD multistage single suction high head up to 170m, the flow rate from 360m3h to 1500 m3/h.

1970
1980

IMPROVEMENT OF VERTICAL TURBINE AND SPLIT CASE PUMPS

With the support of Impianti Tecnologici Ercole Marelli (ITEM) Company, a leader in pumping systems for domestic and international water system applications, the Marelli pump series developed in the early sixties is expanded to reach higher flow rates and increased performances.

1983

FIRE PUMP CERTIFICATION WITH FM APPROVALS

Ercole Marelli acquires Rotos and begins the production of horizontal Fire-Fighting sets according to NFP20 standards and FM approval using PD split case pumps.

1890

ESTABLISHED IN ITALY

Audoli & Bertola supplies Vertical Turbine Pump Systems for Water Applications.
In the following years, Audoli & Bertola develops a supply of “turn-key” water distribution plants in both domestic and Mediterranean countries.

1980
1990

DEVELOPMENT OF VERTICAL TURBINE PUMPS

Over the years Audoli & Bertola becomes a specialist in Heavy Industries such as Steel Plants, Power Generation, Industrial Cooling Systems, and Marine.

1993

FIRE PUMP CERTIFICATION WITH FM APPROVALS

Audoli & Bertola obtains the FM Approvals certification for VERTICAL TURBINE PUMPS Fire-Fighting sets with VAB pumps.

2003

FIRE-FIGHTING SYSTEM AND PUMP-SET FOCUS

Audoli & Bertola, after the “Gruppo Aturia” acquisition, becomes the Division of Gruppo Aturia S.p.A. appointed to design and manufacture Fire Pump Packages and Systems in accordance with European and International Standards. After the integration with Gruppo Aturia, Audoli & Bertola Fire-Fighting Division further develops the Horizontal Split Case Pump series based on Rotos experience and also FM.

1921

ESTABLISHED

G.Chiappa Fonderie is set up in Torino and starts the production of castings in Bronze, aluminum, and cast iron.

1940

FIRST CENTRIFUGAL PUMP

The company starts the production of Centrifugal Pumps for industrial applications.

1950
1954

BORN ARIS CHIAPPA

The name of the company is changed to A.R.I.S. (Acquedotti Ricerche Idriche Sottosuolo) and in 1954 it finally changed into “Aris Chiappa”.

1960
1970

DEVELOPMENT OF VERTICAL TURBINE PUMPS

Aris Chiappa began producing Vertical Turbine Pumps for industry and Water Distribution.

1970
1980

DEVELOPMENT OF PUMPS FOR LUBRICATION SERVICES

In collaboration with the world’s leading turbine manufacturers (Fiat Avio and Nuovo Pignone), Aris Chiappa developed pumps specially designed for lubrication services.

1952

FIRST CENTRIFUGAL PUMP

Under the name of Pompe Vergani, Finder Pompe begins as a centrifugal pump manufacturer for building and industrial applications. Over the years, Finder expanded its market specializing in Oil & Gas, Desalination, Chemical, Pharmaceutical, Food, and Marine.

1988

DEVELOPMENT OF VACUUM PUMPS

With the acquisition of FMB Industries, a leading company in liquid ring vacuum pumps, Finder Pompe starts manufacturing single and two-stage pumps together with mono-block series in Merate Plant.

2001

IMPROVEMENT OF VACUUM PUMPS

After the acquisition of CENTRA, a leading company in liquid ring vacuum pumps, Finder Pompe merge and improve FMB and CENTRA design to propose a new improved liquid ring vacuum pump range.

2008

DEVELOPMENT OF TWIN SCREW PUMPS

With the acquisition of Pompe Cerpelli, Finder Pompe increase its presence in the Oil&Gas sector providing pumping solutions also for high-viscosity media with Cerpelli Heavy-Duty Process Pumps.

1904

CENTRIFUGAL PUMP FOR INDUSTRY

Dr. A. Cerpelli starts the production of pumps for viscous fluids and special services: centrifugal pumps (single stage and multistage) and volumetric pumps (twin screw and piston pumps). Products are widely installed on ships and tankers and in chemical, petrochemical and power plants.

1970

CENTRIFUGAL PUMP FOR OIL&GAS AND MARINE

In the ’70s, Cerpelli Pompe expanded its market becoming a premium brand of API pumps (centrifugal & twin screw) for Oil & Gas applications and Marine.

2008

DEVELOPMENT OF TWIN SCREW PUMPS

Pompe Cerpelli becomes part of Finder Pompe.